Increasing the speed of a TRX 90, which is a youth ATV produced by Honda, can be done with some modifications and adjustments. However, it’s important to prioritize safety when making these changes, especially if the ATV is being used by a young rider. Here are some steps to make a TRX 90 faster:
- Check Local Regulations: Before making any modifications, ensure that you comply with local laws and regulations regarding ATVs, especially if it’s used by a young rider.
- Maintenance: Ensure that your TRX 90 is well-maintained. Regularly service the engine, check the air filter, and keep the ATV in good working condition.
- Exhaust System: Upgrading the exhaust system can improve engine performance. Aftermarket exhausts can increase horsepower and improve airflow. However, make sure any modifications meet noise level regulations.
- Air Intake: Install a high-performance air filter and air intake kit to allow more air into the engine, which can improve combustion and increase power.
- Carburetor and Jetting: Adjusting the carburetor and jetting can optimize fuel and air mixture for improved performance. Consult the manufacturer’s recommendations or seek professional assistance for this modification.
- Sprockets: Changing the sprocket sizes can affect the ATV’s gearing. Installing a larger rear sprocket or a smaller front sprocket can increase top speed, but it may reduce low-end torque.
- Tires: Choose lightweight, low-profile tires with a tread pattern designed for speed rather than off-roading. This can reduce rolling resistance and improve top speed.
- Suspension: Upgrading the suspension system can enhance stability at higher speeds, making the ride safer and more comfortable.
- Throttle Limiter: If the ATV is used by a young rider, it may have a throttle limiter to reduce speed. Consult the owner’s manual to see if it can be adjusted or removed. Keep in mind that safety should always be the top priority for young riders.
- Transmission and Clutch: Upgrading the transmission or clutch components can improve power transfer to the wheels. This modification may require mechanical expertise.
- Professional Tuning: Consider having the ATV professionally tuned by a mechanic who specializes in ATV performance upgrades. They can make precise adjustments to optimize speed and performance.
- Safety Gear: Regardless of the modifications made, ensure that the rider wears appropriate safety gear, including a helmet, goggles, gloves, and protective clothing.
Always approach ATV modifications with caution and prioritize safety. It’s essential to consider the rider’s experience, age, and skill level when making any changes that may increase speed. Additionally, be aware that modifying the TRX 90 may void warranties, and some modifications may not be legal in certain areas. Always check local regulations and seek professional advice when making significant modifications to an ATV.