Creating a turkey spur necklace is a unique and creative craft project. Turkey spurs are the bony protrusions found on the back of a turkey’s legs, and they can be used to make distinctive jewelry pieces. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make a turkey spur necklace:
Materials You’ll Need:
- Turkey Spurs: Obtain turkey spurs from a wild turkey or a reputable source. Ensure they are properly cleaned and sanitized.
- Drill and Drill Bits: You’ll need a drill with a small drill bit for making holes in the spurs.
- Necklace Chain or Cord: Choose a chain or cord material of your preference. Leather, suede, or metal chains work well.
- Jump Rings: These are small metal rings used to connect the spurs to the necklace chain.
- Jewelry Pliers: Pliers are needed for opening and closing jump rings.
- Clasp: If your chosen necklace chain doesn’t have a built-in clasp, you’ll need to add one.
- Safety Equipment: Wear safety goggles and gloves when working with the turkey spurs to prevent injury.
- Prepare the Turkey Spurs:
- Ensure that the turkey spurs are clean and free of any remaining tissue or debris. You may need to soak them in warm soapy water and scrub gently with a soft brush. Rinse thoroughly and allow them to dry completely.
- Mark Hole Locations:
- Decide where you want to drill holes in the turkey spurs. Typically, you’ll want to drill a hole near the top of each spur, close to the curved end. Make a small mark with a pencil or marker to indicate where you’ll drill.
- Drill Holes:
- Using the drill with a small drill bit, carefully drill holes in the marked locations on the turkey spurs. Take your time and apply gentle pressure to avoid damaging the spurs.
- Attach Jump Rings:
- Open a jump ring using jewelry pliers and thread it through the hole in one of the turkey spurs. Close the jump ring securely. Repeat this step for the second spur.
- Attach Necklace Chain:
- If your necklace chain doesn’t have a built-in clasp, attach a jump ring to each end of the chain using jewelry pliers. Connect the jump rings to the jump rings on the turkey spurs.
- Add a Clasp (if necessary):
- If your chain doesn’t have a clasp, add one to the ends of the chain using jump rings. This will allow you to easily secure and remove the necklace.
- Final Adjustments:
- Examine your turkey spur necklace to ensure that all connections are secure. Make any final adjustments as needed.
- Wear Your Necklace:
- Your turkey spur necklace is now ready to wear. Enjoy your unique and nature-inspired piece of jewelry!
Remember to handle turkey spurs with care, especially when drilling holes, as they can be brittle. If you’re unsure about any step in this process, consider seeking assistance from a jewelry-making professional or craftsperson.